Building Lasting Relationships.

Will I Lose My Home After Filing For Bankruptcy?

You do not have to travel far in Sarasota County, Florida, to see the lingering effects of the devastating foreclosure crisis. With so many homeowners still owing more on their mortgages than their homes are worth, it is no surprise that many people are still trying to avoid foreclosure.

At the Riddell Law Group, our experienced lawyers and staff are committed to helping you remain in your home, whether through bankruptcy, a mortgage modification request or the debt settlement process.

How A Bankruptcy Filing Can Help You Keep Your Home

One of the advantages of filing for Chapter 13 bankruptcy is that it will put a halt to any foreclosure actions being taken against your home if you are behind on your mortgage payments. Even though you cannot discharge your mortgage debt without surrendering your home, the bankruptcy will give you crucial time to get caught up on late payments.

Additionally, the U.S. Bankruptcy Court here in the Middle District of Florida has a program for Chapter 13 filers that helps them request mediation to discuss mortgage modification and the terms of modification with the mortgage lender while they are under the bankruptcy court’s protection and supervision.

Our attorneys, in addition to guiding you through your bankruptcy filing, can help you request a modification of your mortgage to help make your mortgage payments more affordable.

We know how important your home is to you, and we know how hard you worked to get it. When your home is on the line, however, it is important that you get the best legal representation possible.

With combined experience in bankruptcy and real estate law, we understand how to use the law to help you stay in your home. Contact us at the Riddell Law Group in Sarasota, Venice, or Lakewood Ranch, Florida, if you like to speak to a member of our staff who will help you through this stressful, difficult time.

We are a debt relief agency. We help people file for bankruptcy relief under the Bankruptcy Code.